Sorry in advance for long post but it may be of use to some:
Brought the 155 home here in Florida, plugged in, turned on the air and started fixing and cleaning. After a couple of days of AC running, noticed a soft spot in the floor. Hmmm. Bad. Got underneath, slit the black liner and sure enough, wet and rotten under the fridge. Condensate from the AC leaking down the wall on the inside. This rig is 2 years old so the leak has likely been going on since day one.
Pulled out the AC, it turned out to be an 8K BTU Frigidaire.
What I found: 1) Drip pan is a bit of folded tin, perforated with two screw hole and sealed with silicon (leaking) and 2) the drip pan didn’t transfer the water outside the wall. That’s probably the source. Also found that the outlet that the AC plugs to is located in the AC compartment, where, if you have a GFI fault, you’d need to remove the vent or AC to reset the GFI. Bad day at Riverside design?
Interior view with the AC removed.
What I did: 1) Moved the outlet down to the fridge access so one can reset the GFI easily if needed. 2) Fixed the leak by double lining the AC compartment with a layer of shower tub liner (40 mil urethane) and then with the repaired tin drip pan. 3) To quiet the AC unit down, I used a layer of 3/8” blue closed cell urethane foam (camping pad) under the liner(s) and around all the edges of the AC unit to keep it from touching any framing and thereby dampening vibration. Also added pink fiberglass insulation (sound deadening) on the top and side walls of the AC compartment, covering the insulation with plastic to hold it in place snug against the walls. Don’t want to impede airflow.
Exterior view with new liner (blue urethane pad is under so not visible), insulation and new outlet location.
The original 8K BTU unit should cool a large room but couldn’t cool my 7x15 camper (?!). Compressor ran constantly at midday and it was still warm inside. Problem is that the vent above the AC, the one that allows the cooling air to reach the AC condenser coils, is too small. It’s about 40 in2 and if you measure the vents around the outside of the AC unit’s case, you’ll find about 120 to 150 in2 of vent.
What I did: 1) Downsized the AC to a 6K BTU unit (I didn’t like the Frigidaire anyway) and 2) Added two cooling fans to the vent. These two fans move about ½ the air flow (200 cfm) that the 6K BTU unit needs. I tied them to the AC fan power supply so they only run when the AC fan runs. With the combined airflow of the two small fans and the regular condenser fan of the AC, the 6K BTU unit now cools the camper. In the blazing FL sunshine and 90°+ outside temps, the interior is cool and the compressor is cycling on and off as it should on medium fan setting.
Interior view of fans in vent.
And yes, I know the two cooling fans are mounted crooked, they are not tall enough to bridge the vent otherwise. And yes, it does bother me.
So, Notes to Riverside: 1) My soft floor could have been prevented with a better install, ie, double lining the AC compartment (and better workmanship). 2) More BTUs does not mean more cooling, fix the vent. This can be done either passively by increasing the size of the opening, or actively by adding fans. 3) And move the AC outlet (sheesh).
The 155 is now cool and much quieter. Maybe this winter I’ll pull out the fridge and fix the floor.
'Till then, we're campin'.